With the holidays just around the corner, it’s time to start planning the necessary preparations to ensure this festive season is one to remember! December 6 is National ‘Cook for Christmas’ Day and we have the perfect make ahead stuffing recipe for the holidays.
Cynthia Beretta, co-founder of Beretta Farms, wants to help your readers celebrate with a well-seasoned turkey and a flavourful stuffing recipe that guests are sure to be talking about well into the new year. This delicious stuffing recipe can be prepared far in advance, placed in parchment paper and frozen until holiday dinner.
Beretta Farms believes in sharing what matters, which means providing proteins that are hormone, steroid and antibiotic free to families across Canada. Cynthia has always enjoyed sharing her recipes with aspiring Canadian chefs and home cooks looking to expand their culinary knowledge. This recipe is straightforward and delicious – the perfect dish to help Cook for Christmas this holiday season!
Cynthia Beretta’s Make-Ahead Stuffing Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs. honey garlic sausage, meat removed from casings
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, with leaves, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ lbs Mushrooms, finely chopped
- 7 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 2 teaspoons sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 Cups fresh bread crumbs
- Sauté sausage, onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms until the sausage is fully cooked, 7-10 minutes.
- Add fresh thyme, sage, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat when there is still some liquid at the bottom of the pot.
- Combine the bread crumbs with sausage mixture and mix well. Cover and let cool.
- Once cooled to room temperature, transfer the stuffing into resealable freezing bags and store. Freeze in bundles to make defrosting easier. Stuffing can be frozen up to 2 weeks in advance.
- When ready to serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with butter.
- Slowly break apart the stuffing with your hands, place it in the greased baking dish and let it warm in the oven.
If using the stuffing for poultry, do not warm. Let it defrost before stuffing your holiday bird. Enjoy!
At Beretta Farms, we pride ourselves on raising our animals much like we raise our own family – with care, compassion and commitment. We have expanded our network to include other family farms across the country who we know and trust. These farms were hand selected for our animals to be raised on, as we know they adhere to the same rules and beliefs that we do, along with passing several strict annual audits.