In celebration of hot breakfast month (February), and of the fact that we have an excuse to eat more bacon, below we have Cynthia Beretta’s (co-founder of Beretta Farms) recipe. This recipe is not only delicious but is also incredibly nutritious for an extra boost on cold winter mornings.
I always serve this with freshly sliced tomatoes, drizzled with olive oil, fresh basil leaves, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. And fresh fruit is a must as a side!
1 loaf fresh brioche egg bread, cubed
10 eggs, slightly beaten
4 cups milk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1⁄2 cup chopped green onions
1 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup Beretta Antibiotic & Hormone Free Strip Bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1⁄2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- Butter a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Arrange bread cubes in single layer. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the bread and cheese.
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon, green onions, mushrooms, and chopped peppers overtop.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F, and bake uncovered for 1 hour or until set.