In celebration of hot breakfast month (February), and of the fact that we have an excuse to eat more bacon, below we have Cynthia Beretta’s (co-founder of Beretta Farms) recipe. This recipe is not only delicious but is also incredibly nutritious for an extra boost on cold winter mornings.
I always serve this with freshly sliced tomatoes, drizzled with olive oil, fresh basil leaves, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. And fresh fruit is a must as a side!
- 1 loaf fresh brioche egg bread, cubed
- 10 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Beretta Antibiotic & Hormone Free Strip Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- Butter a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Arrange bread cubes in a single layer. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the bread and cheese.
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon, green onions, mushrooms, and chopped peppers overtop.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F, and bake uncovered for 1 hour or until set.
At Beretta Farms, we pride ourselves on raising our animals much like we raise our own family – with care, compassion and commitment. We have expanded our network to include other family farms across the country who we know and trust. These farms were hand selected for our animals to be raised on, as we know they adhere to the same rules and beliefs that we do, along with passing several strict annual audits.