Here is a time-honoured recipe for leek soup that has been given a little flavour boost with the addition of blue cheese. Serves 6.
- 2 Tbsp butter (30 mL)
- 4 leeks, white part only, washed and chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock (1 L)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (2.5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley( 2.5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (1.25 mL)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup of whipping cream (60 mL)
- 1 Tbsp butter( 15 mL)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives (60 mL)
- 4 oz blue cheese, crumbled (110 g)
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and onion and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the potatoes, chicken stock, thyme, parsley, black pepper and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil; remove any scum that floats to the surface. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the potatoes are soft, approximately 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat. Discard the bay leaf and cool briefly. Process the mixture in a blender until silky smooth. Clean the pot, return the soup to the pot and return the pot to the heat. Add the cream and when almost hot enough to serve, swirl in the remaining butter.
Ladle the soup into the bowls. Sprinkle each serving with the chives, then sprinkle the cheese over the chives. Serve.
Harrowsmith is the farm-to-condo go-to for living sustainably and simply. Our mission is to offer a down-to-earth Canadian perspective on topics of gardening, home and design, travel and culture, food, health, wellness and the environment.