This is the perfect taste of spring. Make it when green garden peas are in their prime. Top with buttered croutons and some smoked whitefish as a garnish if desired.
Serves 4 to 6
Extra-virgin olive oil (as needed)
1 cup (250 mL) garden-fresh spring onions, white part, minced
1 clove garden garlic, smashed
2 cups (500 mL) shelled fresh garden peas (divided)
2 cups (500 mL) fresh garden spinach
4 1/2 cups (1 L) vegetable stock
Salt & pepper to taste
1 small red chili pepper, seeded & minced
1/3 cup (80 mL) chopped fresh garden mint
1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh garden basil leaves
4 oz (118 mL) 35% cream
Pinch smoked paprika
- Coat the bottom of a heavy-bottomed saucepan with olive oil.
- Add the onions, garlic and a pinch of salt, and cook slowly over low heat until translucent.
- Add about 1/3 of the peas to the onion and garlic mixture, and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer for an additional 10-12 minutes, then remove broth from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling salted water, add about 2/3 of the shelled peas and blanch for 40 seconds, then transfer to ice water to cool rapidly.
- Drain and set aside.
- Do the same for the entire lot of spinach.
- Blend the cooled broth, peas and spinach with the minced chili pepper, mint, basil, cream and smoked paprika. This might have to be done in batches, as you want the soup to be silky smooth.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Chill soup in refrigerator for at least 2 hours