The addition of Magnolia and Rose Petal Sugar elevates classic shortbread cookies to a whole new level.
Why use flower-infused sugar in your baking? Firstly, it can add a subtle and fragrant rose flavour to your baked goods, creating a unique taste experience for you and your guests. Secondly, rose petal sugar is a natural ingredient made by infusing granulated sugar with dried rose petals, so you can avoid using artificial flavours and additives in your baking. Additionally, using rose petal sugar can elevate the presentation of your baked goods, as the delicate pink hue of the sugar can create a beautiful and elegant look. Finally, if you enjoy giving homemade gifts, using rose petal sugar in your baking can add a personal touch to your creations and make your gifts extra special.
Makes 24 cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2⁄3 cup Magnolia and Rose Petal Sugar (see recipe here)
2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp vanilla extract
¾ tsp rosewater
¼ tsp salt
3 tbsp heavy cream
1 cup white chocolate, melted
1 tbsp slightly crushed dried rose petals
1 tbsp finely chopped pistachios
When preparing the magnolias to use in these recipes, be sure to wash the flowers and ensure they are free from any debris.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add butter, Magnolia and Rose Petal Sugar, flour, vanilla, rosewater and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Mix on low until the mixture is a coarse, crumbly texture, about 2 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and mix for 30 seconds.
- Shape the dough into a log or “snake” to the desired diameter of the cookie (I opt for 1 ½ inches), and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 40 minutes.
- Once the log is chilled, cut the cookies into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and place the cookies, 1 inch apart, onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until the edges of the cookies just start to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely on a rack.
- Pour the melted chocolate into a small bowl that is wide enough to fit your cookies.
- Dip the cookies into the chocolate halfway. Shake off any excess chocolate and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle each cookie with crushed rose petals and chopped pistachios.
These cookies are suitable for storing up to 5 days in an airtight container on your kitchen counter.
Here are some other recipes using magnolias:
Chef ILona Daniel is Harrowsmith’s Food Editor and the founder of Tribe Fresh Events and Consulting, a purpose-driven insights consultancy accelerated by modern approaches to the hospitality industry, immersive experiences, and community and culture development. She has worked on projects around the world and is on the Board of Directors for the Tourism Association of PEI. Chef Ilona is a media personality, and a Culinary Instructor at the Culinary Institute of Canada.