Foral sugars like Magnolia and Rose Petal Sugar are versatile ingredients that can add a unique flavour and fragrance to various foods and beverages. Some of the most common uses include:
- Baking. Rose petal sugar can be used in place of regular sugar in any baking recipe that calls for sugar. It can add a subtle floral flavour to cakes, cookies, and other baked goods.
- Tea and other beverages. Rose petal sugar can be added to tea, lemonade, and other beverages to add a touch of sweetness and a hint of rose flavour.
- Toppings. Rose petal sugar can be sprinkled on top of oatmeal, yogurt, and other breakfast foods for a sweet and fragrant touch.
- Cocktails. Rose petal sugar can be used to rim the edge of a cocktail glass or added to a cocktail shaker for a floral twist on classic cocktails like margaritas and daiquiris.
- Gift-giving. Rose petal sugar can be packaged in jars or bags and given as a gift to friends and family who love to cook and bake.
To prepare the Magnolia and Rose Petal Sugar, allow the petals to dry on a cookie sheet lined with a paper towel for a few days. If you have a food dehydrator, this will speed up the process by 24 hours.
4 cups coarse sugar
6 magnolia blossoms (pink is preferable), petals only, cut into thin strips
12 Wild rose (Rosa rugosa) blossoms, petals only
When preparing the magnolias to use in these recipes, be sure to wash the flowers and ensure they are free from any debris.
Combine sugar and petals in a food processor and pulse until the sugar is even in colour. Transfer to a zip-top plastic bag or glass jar, and store in the freezer to preserve the potency of the naturally occurring essential oils in the petals.
Here are some other recipes using magnolias:
Chef ILona Daniel is Harrowsmith’s Food Editor and the founder of Tribe Fresh Events and Consulting, a purpose-driven insights consultancy accelerated by modern approaches to the hospitality industry, immersive experiences, and community and culture development. She has worked on projects around the world and is on the Board of Directors for the Tourism Association of PEI. Chef Ilona is a media personality, and a Culinary Instructor at the Culinary Institute of Canada.