This creative, free-form dessert calls for mostly leftovers with a few fresh ingredients. Use whatever leftovers you have on hand and, if you’re at your sweets consumption capacity, simply freeze any remaining ingredients (cake, cookies, chocolate, fruits) to use at a later date for a dessert in a pinch!
Make individual servings, or double the recipe to serve a family-style trifle.
- 1/2 cup fruits, fresh or cooked, such as cranberry sauce
- 3 cups leftover cake (frosted or unfrosted), broken up into
- 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup vanilla custard, pudding or pastry cream
- 1/2 cup leftover crushed cookies
- Sweetened freshly whipped cream
- 1/4 cup each chocolate, fudge, toffee pieces (optional)
- In four clear vessels such as glasses or jars, divide half of your fruits and layer evenly in the bottom of each.
- Next, sprinkle cake pieces overtop, pressing down slightly.
- Spread about 2 to 3 tablespoons of custard overtop, and then layer on some crushed cookies, followed by the remaining 1/4 cup of fruits.
- Sprinkle an extra layer of cake overtop if you have enough,
- top with whipped cream.
- Garnish with crushed cookies, chocolate, fudge or toffee, if desired,
Be as creative as you like with this free-form dish!
Joanna Notkin is a designer at heart, and food is her passion. With an eye for detail and a love of all things seasonal and local, Joanna approaches food in a way that is delicate and thoughtful. She brings together the flavours of each ingredient while honouring the fact that we truly eat with our eyes.