This creative, free-form dessert calls for mostly leftovers with a few fresh ingredients. Use whatever leftovers you have on hand and, if you’re at your sweets consumption capacity, simply freeze any remaining ingredients (cake, cookies, chocolate, fruits) to use at a later date for a dessert in a pinch!
Make individual servings, or double the recipe to serve a family-style trifle.
- 1/2 cup fruits, fresh or cooked, such as cranberry sauce
- 3 cups leftover cake (frosted or unfrosted), broken up into
- 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup vanilla custard, pudding or pastry cream
- 1/2 cup leftover crushed cookies
- Sweetened freshly whipped cream
- 1/4 cup each chocolate, fudge, toffee pieces (optional)
- In four clear vessels such as glasses or jars, divide half of your fruits and layer evenly in the bottom of each.
- Next, sprinkle cake pieces overtop, pressing down slightly.
- Spread about 2 to 3 tablespoons of custard overtop, and then layer on some crushed cookies, followed by the remaining 1/4 cup of fruits.
- Sprinkle an extra layer of cake overtop if you have enough,
- top with whipped cream.
- Garnish with crushed cookies, chocolate, fudge or toffee, if desired,
Be as creative as you like with this free-form dish!
Joanna Notkin is a designer at heart, and food is her passion. With an eye for detail and a love of all things seasonal and local, Joanna approaches food in a way that is delicate and thoughtful. Our food editor’s style brings together the flavours of each ingredient while honouring the fact that we truly eat with our eyes. Joanna began as a textile designer before opening Zoe Ford Catering. She now also freelances as a recipe tester, restaurant consultant and menu planner and is an all-around food lover.