The combination of flavours in strawberry rhubarb pie is a perfect balance of sweet and tangy. The addition of sugar helps to enhance the natural sweetness of the fruits while taming the rhubarb’s tartness. The hint of lemon juice brightens the flavour profile, adding a refreshing zing, while the vanilla extract provides a subtle, aromatic undertone. The warm and comforting touch of cinnamon adds depth and complements the fruity flavours beautifully.
As the pie bakes, the flavours meld together, creating a deliciously balanced filling that is vibrant and comforting. The combination of flavours in strawberry rhubarb pie is a classic and beloved pairing that never fails to tantalize the taste buds.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pie crusts (store-bought or homemade), for the bottom and top crusts
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine the sliced strawberries, chopped rhubarb, granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir well to ensure all the fruit is coated with the sugar mixture. Let it sit for about 15 minutes to allow the flavours to meld.
- Roll out one of the pie crusts and carefully place it into a 9-inch pie dish, ensuring it covers the bottom and sides. Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges.
- Pour the strawberry rhubarb filling into the pie crust, spreading it evenly. Dot the top of the filling with small pieces of butter.
- Roll out the second pie crust and place it on top of the filling. You can create a lattice pattern or simply cover the pie completely, sealing the edges by crimping them with a fork or your fingers. Cut a few small slits on the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle it with a tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips, and bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours to let the filling set.
- Serve the strawberry rhubarb pie on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delightful treat.
Enjoy the sweet and tangy flavours of this homemade strawberry rhubarb pie!