Make your own natural cleaning spray and find a second use for your citrus peels.
On its own, white vinegar provides a natural and effective cleaner — and it’s also very inexpensive! However, many people find the smell of white vinegar to be far too pungent and sharp to use as a cleaner on its own. Solution: Use your lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, pomelo peels to infuse the white vinegar and make a citrusy cleaning spray. And even better, lemon oils will help cut through any built-up grease and lemon juice has natural anti-fungal, antibacterial, insecticidal, and deodorizing properties.
Materials to make a natural cleaning spray:
- Large empty glass jar (dill pickle-sized is perfect)
- Discarded peels from 2-6 lemons, limes, oranges or any citrus fruit
- 1 L of white vinegar
- Clean, chemical-free spray bottle
- Collander or strainer
- Tap water
- To make, add the peels of lemon, lime, orange and/or grapefruit to a jar with vinegar and let it sit for 2-3 weeks. (The longer it sits the more it will smell like sunshine, not vinegar.)
2. Strain the vinegar solution into a spray bottle made of glass (or rinse and reuse a plastic bottle) and mix with water at a 1:1 ratio.
3. Now you’re ready to clean with your eco-friendly, low-cost, homemade super cleaner that will work to dissolve grease and mildew.