Valentine’s Day is all about love, whether it’s for your partner or your friends. While the day can revolve
around the romantic partner in your life, COVID-19 put romantic love on the back burner for many
Canadians as we continue to practice social distancing and stay-at-home orders.
Through this experience, we have come to prioritize friendship and other types of love and this
Valentine’s Day 2021 is a great opportunity to show our appreciation for our true friends who have been
there for every Zoom call and 6ft apart outdoor walk.
As a champion for the love of friendship, Green & Black’s Organic Chocolate is encouraging Canadians
to round up their BFFs and host a fun virtual Valentine’s Day experience, highlighting some fun and
interactive activities you can do together, all of which revolve around the sweet and savoury taste of
Green & Black’s Chocolate.
Some of Green & Black’s top recommended virtual V-Day activities to do with your BFF include:
Building Chocolate Charcuterie Boards with Green & Black’s Chocolate
The key to building a chocolate charcuterie board is playing with the different textures of Green & Black’s
chocolates. The lush smoothness of the classic Milk Chocolate contrasted of the crunchy Toffee will drive
your tastebuds wild – variety is key. Don’t shy away from bold flavours like the Ginger Dark Chocolate bar
and pair it with something salty like almonds or pretzels. Melted chocolate is a must on your board as you
can make chocolate covered strawberries, raspberries, or bananas. Our additional fruit suggestions
include clementine’s and figs. See our recipes for additional inspiration.
Chocolate & Wine Tasting with Green & Black’s Chocolate
Indulge in something sweet with your BFF by hosting a virtual wine and chocolate tasting featuring Green
& Black’s chocolate. Pairings include:
- Green & Black’s Organic Milk Chocolate & Sparkling Wine
Green & Black’s Organic Milk is a rich and flavourful milk chocolate that balances the intensity of the
cocas with the relative sweetness of the milk. As a milk chocolate lover, you are a timeless friend that
frequently evokes nostalgic memories of simpler times. You’re caring, thoughtful, and you put your heart
into everything that you do. You love the comforts of reliability, but that doesn’t curb your keen sense of
For a truly remarkable experience, enjoy this classic treat with some sparkling dry bubbly to help balance
the intensity of pure cocoa and natural milk sweetness with its crisp and dry notes. Our recommendation
is the Benjamin Bridge Méthode Classique Reserve Brut Sparkling 2013 from Nova Scotia.
- Green & Black’s Organic White Chocolate & Pinot Noir
Green & Black’s Organic White is a milk chocolate made from fragrant Madagascan Vanilla and pressed
to perfection for a wonderfully creamy and smooth texture. As a white chocolate stan, you tend to stand
out and are always ready to bring the fun to every night in or out. Your friends value you for your
individuality and your exceptionally sweet demeanour.
For an exceptional tasting experience, make the Green & Black’s Organic White Chocolate shine by
pairing it with a glass of fruity and bold Pinot Noir to elevate the chocolate’s pure, sweet and creamy
notes. Our recommendation is the Rosehall Run Defiant Pinot Noir VQA from Ontario’s Rosehall Run
- Green & Black’s Organic Sea Salt Milk Chocolate & Riesling Wine
Green & Black’s Organic Sea Salt is a delicious milk chocolate made with delicate flakes of Anglesey sea
salt sourced from Halen Môn. As a sea salt fanatic, no friendship group is complete without you. You
might seem quiet and reserved to some, but like the flakey Sea Salt on your palate, you are a standout
due to your caring nature and easy-going personality.
This Valentine’s Day enjoy the Green & Black’s Organic Sea Salt chocolate’s delicate and complex
flavours by pairing it with a sweet glass of Riesling. We recommend you try the Thirty Bench Riesling from Beamsville Bench in Niagara.
- Green & Black’s Organic Toffee 60% Dark Chocolate & Bordeaux-inspired Cabernet Sauvignon
Green & Black’s Organic Toffee is a premium dark chocolate with wonderful distinctions of crunchy
Yorkshire toffee pieces for a sweet bitter taste. Being a toffee devotee, you are the life of the party and
love to add your own little bits of fun and creativity to everything you do! You love to host, share and
participate, as your easy charm and gregarious nature liven up any room. Amusing, lively, and unique,
you enjoy making a scene big or small and add a little “crunch” to life, just like our toffee.
Serve this delicious and dark treat at your Galentine’s Day with an even dark and robust, aged Bordeauxinspired Cabernet Sauvignon Blend to elevate the chocolate’s wonderful treacly and savoury flavours. We recommend the Trius Red Cabernet Sauvignon Blend from Ontario.
Virtual BFF Baking Session with Green & Black’s Chocolate
Find inspiration for you and your BFF as you unleash your inner chef by baking homemade treats virtually
using Green & Black’s chocolate.
5 Minute Chocolate Pots:
Pure chocolate bliss that is guaranteed to satisfy the sweetest of sweet tooths – chocolate pots are an easy and quick make for those who aren’t into traditional baking or who are looking to consume copious amounts of chocolate in a new way.
- 200 g Green & Black’s Dark Cooking Chocolate (broken into small chunks)
- 100 ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125 ml whipping cream
Melt the chocolate in a microwave or heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Take off the heat.
Add the hot water (you can use the water from the bain-marie) to the chocolate and vanilla. The water must be added slowly and gradually to avoid the chocolate splitting. Add the whipping cream – the texture should be like that of crème anglaise. Pour straight into espresso cups and leave to set in a cool part of the kitchen for at least 45 minutes before serving. For more tips & nutritional information go to greenandblacks.co.uk
Luxury has never been sweeter. If you’re preparing a classy and elevated Galentine’s Day for you and your friends, chocolate truffles are a must on the menu. For more tips & nutritional information go to greenandblacks.co.uk
- 250 g Green & Black’s Dark Cooking Chocolate
- Green & Black’s Cocoa Powder, for dusting
- 175 g whipping cream
- Pinch of Salt
- 125 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 75 g granulated sugar
- Put the whipping cream, salt and your herb of choice in a saucepan over a low heat and bring to scalding point, then reduce the heat to its lowest setting and gently simmer for about 20 minutes to allow the cream to absorb the flavour. Do not boil.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the sugar and allow to cool until it reaches a temperature of 20°C (room temperature).
- Whisk the butter in a bowl using an electric stand or hand-held mixer until it forms a soft smooth mass. Gradually add the cream mixture, beating continuously. Add some liqueur, if using, at this stage.
- If the mixture curdles (a sign that it is too cold), reheat over a pan of barely simmering water until it re-emulsifies. If it is too soft, set the bowl over iced water and heat.
- Line one or two baking trays with baking parchment. Fill an icing bag fitted with a size 2 piping bag nozzle (approx. 3cm long and 1.8cm wide) with the truffle mixture and pipe little rounds about the size of a nutmeg onto the parchment; this amount will make around 50 truffles. Transfer the tray(s) to the freezer. After about 45 minutes, remove.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water, then set aside to cool until it reaches 40°C. Put the Green & Black’s Cocoa Powder in a shallow bowl or on a plate and have a sieve to hand.
- Dip the truffle fillings into the melted chocolate then lay them in the cocoa powder. When they have set, transfer a few at a time, to the sieve and shake off excess cocoa powder. Store the truffles in a sealed box in the fridge or, to keep them fresh for longer, in the freezer.
- For more tips & nutritional information go to greenandblacks.co.uk
Chewy Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
A chewy, gooey twist on a childhood classic, these ultimate milk chocolate chip cookies will be a hit at your Valentine’s Day thanks to the rich chocolate flavours For more tips & nutritional information go to greenandblacks.co.uk
- 300 g Green & Black Milk Chocolate
- 50 g Green& Black’s Cocoa Powder
- 200 g plain flour
- 175 g melted butter
- 200 g light Muscovado sugar
- 100 g golden caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 medium egg plug one egg yolk
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Mix the butter and the sugars in a bowl. Beat with an electric whisk or a stand up mixer until thoroughly combined. Beat in the egg and yolk until the mixture changes to a light and creamy colour.
- Sift the ﬂour with the bicarbonate of soda, cocoa and salt and combine with the sugar mixture. Break the chocolate into chunks and fold in.
- Place balls of the mixture (about half a handful) a couple of inches apart on a baking sheet. You may need to use more than one sheet or do them in batches. Squish them down a little and bake for approximately ten minutes or until slightly darker at the edges but not burnt (you should be able to smell when they are ready).
- Set aside to cool before eating.
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Blondies
Like the classic friendship combo between a blonde and brunette, these sweet treats feature the ultimate flavour pairing of chocolate & peanut butter. For more tips & nutritional information go to greenandblacks.co.uk
- 100 g Green & Black’s Milk Chocolate, broken into chunks
- 100 g Green & Black’s White Cooking Chocolate, broken into chunks
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened
- 150 g crunchy peanut butter
- 175 soft light brown sugar
- 3 larger free-range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 125 g plain flour
- Preheat your oven to 170ºC/Gas Mark 3.
- Line the bottom of a 20cm x 20cm tin with greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the softened butter and peanut butter in a large bowl followed by the sugar, then beat in the eggs, vanilla and salt. Add the flour and mix thoroughly, then add the chocolate and fold in. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the tin. Remove and cut into 16 squares.
Milk Chocolate, Raspberry Peanut Truffles
Fruity, savoury, and sweet – these treats combine flavours for a decedent culinary experience that will have your BFFs asking for more. For more tips & nutritional information go to https://www.greenandblacks.co.uk/milk-chocolate-raspberry-peanut-truffles greenandblacks.co.uk
- 150 g Green & Black Milk Chocolate
- 90 g raspberries
- 1 tsp caster sugar or to taste
- 100 g salted roasted peanuts
- Blend the raspberries and pass them through a sieve to give a puree. Sweeten to taste if needed with a little sugar.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl above a saucepan of hot water or carefully in the microwave (approx 50 seconds).
- Combine the puree and the melted chocolate and mix thoroughly until an homogenous emulsion is achieved. Chill for four hours or overnight.
- Blend the peanuts until ﬁnely chopped (or use a pestle and mortar or a rolling pin) and put them in a bowl. Take the chilled truffle mix from the fridge. Using a teaspoon, scoop out about half a teaspoon of mixture and roll between your hands to give you a ball about the size of a raspberry. A dusting of cocoa powder on your hands will prevent them sticking. Roll the spheres in the chopped peanuts ensuring that they get a good coating. Repeat until all the mixture is used up. Return to the fridge until needed.
More than 40 years ago, in 1976, James Lawrence pasted together the first edition of Harrowsmith magazine on his kitchen table in rural Ontario. Totally unique, it was the first Canadian magazine to focus on organic living, alternative energy sources, and a country lifestyle. Lawrence’s ode to back-to- the-land virtues quickly attracted legions of fans and soon became Canada’s bible for rural living.