Take your next BBQ on an international journey without leaving your backyard thanks to delicious, easy-to-prepare and ethically-produced products and recipes from duBreton®, an all-Canadian pork specialist at the forefront of Certified Humane® and organic pork production in North America. Pork is easy to grill, cooks up fast on the BBQ, pairs well with any side or flavour and is rich in protein, making it ideal for stress-free entertaining on sunny summer days. Now, duBreton is introducing NEW pre-marinated Rustic Farm Pork Boneless Filets in three on-trend global flavours – Chipotle & Lime; Mexican BBQ; and Curry – as well as an Original, unmarinated flavour for home chefs to get creative with their favourite marinades, rubs and spices. Also perfect for the grill: duBreton offers a range of “filler-free” sausages, including its popular Organic and Rustic Farm Pork Toulouse Sausages that satisfy classic summer cravings with a French twist. All of duBreton’s products are from pigs that are raised without antibiotics in crate-free environments.
“Pork is a perfect BBQ partner,” says Andrea Nicholson, celebrity chef, Top Chef Canada All Stars competitor, and owner of Butchie’s Restaurant where she expertly grills up a meat + three (accompaniments) menu. “Not only is it lean and rich in protein and B Vitamins, but pork’s versatility makes it an ideal choice for many recipes, especially with today’s popular global cuisine. But as a chef, I can tell you that not all pork is created equal. Read labels to ensure your choice is ethically produced, and look for third-party certifications such as Certified Humane® to ensure the product stands up to its claims.”
The World on Your Grill
DuBreton’s NEW pre-marinated Pork Boneless Loin Filets ($7.99/lb, prices may vary) make it even easier to grill up exotic flavours sure to impress your friends and family. With a nod to international cuisine, Chef Nicholson has created these simple and delicious recipes, perfect for your next backyard BBQ party:
Rustic Cubano Sandwich
Starting with duBreton Rustic Farm Pork Chipotle & Lime Boneless Loin Filet, this recipe features shaved grilled pork loin, sweet pickles, beer braised caramelized onions and queso fresco for your own backyard take on the classic Latin sandwich. Add some tantalizing rhythms and fun salsa dancing to make your Latin party complete.
To get the utmost flavour from your boneless pork loin, Chef Nicholson also offers grilling tips:
- Get your grilling grates nice and hot. The BBQ temperature gauge will tell you how hot the air is, but that heat needs time to transfer to the grates (a hot grill also helps kill any bacteria). Different types of BBQs and grates all heat differently, but rule of thumb is to preheat your BBQ for 15 to 20 minutes before you start cooking.
- Don’t cook cold pork. Pull it out of the fridge 20-30 mintues before cooking, making sure it’s not sitting in direct sun, so it cooks more evenly. When it comes to cooking, start by searing the meat on all sides to create rich caramelization and a more impactful flavour.
- Make your own seasoning and rubs. Play around with different salts, spices and herbs to produce your own signature rub.
- Always let your meat rest for at least 5-10 minutes before carving or serving. This allows the juices to redistribute evenly, resulting in pork that is more tender and tasty.
- 1/4 cup (60mL) oil with high smoke point (such as vegetable or grapeseed oil), divided (for the grill and sandwich)
- 1 package (approx. 500 g) duBreton Rustic Farm Pork Boneless Loin Filet Chipotle and Lime flavour
- 4 crusty ciabatta buns, sliced lengthwise
- 3 Tbsp. (45mL) yellow mustard, or to taste
- 8 slices Manchego cheese
- 1 cup (250mL) beer braised caramelized onions (recipe below)
- 1 cup (250mL) sweet pickle rounds, or to taste
Beer Caramelized Onions:
- 1/4 cup (60mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp, (30 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp, (30 mL) white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp, (1mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp, (1 mL) pepper
- 1 bottle (341 mL) beer (lager or ale)
In wide Dutch oven or large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add onions and cook stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
Stir in beer and bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until onions are golden and liquid has evaporated, about 30 minutes. Let cool.
Pre-heat BBQ on high heat until the grilling grates are hot, about 15 to 20 minutes, then brush the grill with oil. Remove the Boneless Loin Filet from the package and place in the centre of grate. Discard packaging and remaining marinade. Cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, turning every 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 140F in the thickest part.
Remove the meat from the grill and wrap tightly in a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Let rest for 10 minutes. Transfer meat to cutting board and slice very thin.
Spread mustard on both inside faces of the bread, add two slices of cheese and 6-8 slices of pork. Top each sandwich with caramelized onions and sweet pickles. Close sandwich, slice diagonally and serve.
Optional: Before slicing and serving, drizzle the top of each ciabatta with olive oil, place each sandwich back onto the grill and press lightly creating grill marks, about 2 minutes. Remove from grill.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook minutes Time: 35
A Family Business, A Tradition of Quality, A Commitment to a Better World
The year 1944 marked the beginning of a new company built by a passionate young farming couple named Napoleon and Adrienne Breton. Over time and through acquisitions and development of other companies, the Breton Tradition 1944 became one of the jewels of Quebec agri-food production, particularly in the pork sector. Now a world leading pork specialist with farming in both Quebec and Ontario, duBreton’s goal is to satisfy the tastes of the best chefs, restaurants and homes throughout Canada, the United States, Asia and Europe. DuBreton offers a complete range of the highest quality pork products from pigs raised and processed to the highest standards of quality and animal care.